What is jaggery?
Jaggery is a kind of unrefined sugar. Raw, concentrated sugarcane juice is boiled until it becomes solid and can be formed into blocks. It’s sometimes referred to as a “non-centrifugal sugar,” because it’s not spun during processing to remove the nutritious molasses. It has a slight bitterness of molasses and the richness of caramel. It’s most often made with sugar cane. However, jaggery made from date palm is also common in several countries.
Jaggery is now becoming famous as a healthy replacement of sugar in many food items. People use jaggery in sweets, tea and other food items to choose healthy eating.
Benefits of Jaggery!
· Jaggery is said to prevent constipation. It activates the digestive enzymes in the body, stimulates bowel movements and thus helps prevent and relieve constipation.
· Jaggery is said to boost immunity as it is high in zinc and antioxidants contains which help reduce or prevent radical damage and increases resistance against infections. This boosting the immunity and body’s strength to fight back.
· One of the best benefits of jaggery is it is a great way to purify your blood. Limited consumption on a daily basis can help clean the blood and thus reducing many diseases caused due to impure blood. Not only blood, but jaggery is also said to detoxify your entire body including liver.
· Jaggery is also said to ease menstrual pain. due to its richness in many essential nutrients, is an effective natural treatment for menstrual problems, especially providing relief from cramps. It can also enhance the release of endorphins that would help you stay calm and relaxed during PMS.
· Jaggery is a rich source of potassium, which is a mineral that helps in the balance of electrolytes as well as building muscles and boosting metabolism. Therefore, eating jaggery can, in fact, help in weight loss.
· Jaggery is a complex carbohydrate that gives energy to the body gradually and for a longer time. This means that the levels of blood sugar do not get raised instantly. Therefore, eating jaggery is a better option to have a long term energy supply. It is also said to help prevent fatigue and weakness of the body.
· Jaggery helps in maintaining normal body temperature which helps in keeping your stomach cool. It also helps in improving the intestinal health of a person as it has high magnesium content.