A bodybuilder or a fitness freak never retires. It doesn’t matter how old you get. Take care of yourself mentally as well as physically is important. Be fit enough to take care of yourself for as long as you can even after you get old. Charles Eugster was a runner, motivational speaker, body-builder, rower and a writer. He was won so many races including becoming a European champion. He has grabbed the title to be the one to hold world records in 200m indoor running and 400m outdoors running race. All this while others would require help to cross the road, he runs and does other physical activities. He was 96 years old when he achieved these medals. That is correct! 96 years old.
Here are some tips he gave us about fitness before leaving the earth in 2017: –
- Train less if you work out intensely – He used to row 6 days in a weak but he later decided to make it 3 days in a week. He says you need time to rest between your workouts. That is when your muscles are built.
- Reduce the fat – As you keep growing old, you have to do something about that belly fat as it is very dangerous for elderly people. The fat gets built around the organs and the individual becomes more likely to get chronic diseases.
- Prefer high-intensity training – Work out should be highly intense and rest can be taken for a longer period if so. You can keep lifting weights until you can and take rest for the next day for your muscles to build again.
- Maintain your protein intake – You must consume protein as much as you can to reach the daily amount necessary. You can take some protein supplements if necessary. You can also eat food items that give you natural protein.
- Have variety in your diet – Charles did not believe in eating the same diet every day. He suggested that we should always eat a variety of foods to get all the necessary nutrients we could possibly get.
Being fit is not an enforced option. It is an individual choice. And it doesn’t matter how old you are, it is never too late to start working on your body.